Friday, 8 March 2013

Its come! Its come!

It's come!  It's come!  Well, finally I have a hospital date for my new knee!  Woohooo!

I suppose in the grand scheme of things I haven't waited that long at all really but as I started having serious jip with it last July-time and the pain and discomfort having become far worse since October-ish, I really am ready for a bit of pain free time.

The letter arrived last week and the date is April 3rd (fingers crossed it doesn't get cancelled/pushed-back).

I haven't been in to hospital for surgery since 2000 when again it was my right knee.  I had to have my acruciate ligament repaired at Harlow Hospital.  I remember being scared of day surgery and worried I'd be sitting there all day and be the last on the list.  Imagine my surprise when I was called first!  I was even more surprised when I came round after the op to find my nursey friend Stella calling my name as she brought me out of the sleepy post-op haze, scaring me to death in the process as I'd never seen her in her nurse get-up!  It seems sometimes it really is not what you know but who you know!
I don't think I'll be that lucky this time.

I've to be at the unit at MRI (that's Manchester Royal Infirmary) for 7am on the day having not had anything to eat or drink since 2am the same morning and just wait til I'm called.  So, trepidation, worry and thoughts have now started to creep in.  Anesthetic is dodgy at the best of times on healthy people so with my kidney, heart and various other problems I admit I am more than a little worried I won't come round but it's probably best not to dwell on that so I am concentrating on getting some independent mobility back and being able to get back to doing things.

So, for now I have a little light reading....



No comments:

Post a Comment