Friday, 8 February 2013
A relaxing bath?
This afternoon I decided to have a lovely soak in a hot bath. As my dodgy leg is quite weak without the support brace on, I leave it on til the very last minute. So once I was sure I was ready I took off the brace and set off on the few tentative steps to the bathroom. The sensation of putting weight on a dislocated knee is a little like stepping in jelly, not very safe and quite squidgy, it makes me feel incredibly squeamish - I have a very low squeam level.
Getting into the bath itself is something to be done very carefully and very slowly as one slip and I could find myself upside down head wedged firmly under the taps and legs over the edge. So, taking it easy I sat on the side and swung my good leg in then hoiked the right leg in using both hands & slowly lowered myself down into the lovely warm bubble filled water.
Now, normally I am a skirt or dress girl and am not too fond of trousers at all. As the velcro straps on my leg brace rub my skin I've had to wear jeans, leggings or pyjama bottoms for months now and hadn't noticed just how hairy my legs had become! Seeing them in the bath made me shriek "good grief!" our loud as I glimpsed what looked like 2 male legs through the bubbles. I thought I'd best give them a quick mow as the amount of hair I'd cultivated really was quite shocking.
So, I hoik my good leg aloft whilst lying down and proceed to shave it so it's silky smooth, admire my handiwork and then lower it back into the water. I then gingerly lift my right leg up, support it with my hand and shave it, ignoring the amount of hair which constantly jams the razor (attractive huh?). Again I admire my handiwork, then it occurs to me that I don't know how to get my leg back down!
I have virtually no muscle tone in this leg (although my thigh muscles are pretty good but the lower leg is thin and muscle-less) so how am I now going to get the leg back down into the water. I can't sit up without using both hands to pull myself and one hand is supporting my useless leg.
I can't bend it because I have visions of the bottom half falling off (yes, I know that won't happen but as I've already said my squeam threshold is quite low). So, I lie there pondering what to do with my leg aloft thinking my only choice is to just drop it which will cause quite a lot of splash (but will be more entertaining than the ITV programme of the same name).
So, prepared for the pain I gingerly let go of said beautifully silky leg. It plummeted like a brick down into the water, sending water & bubbles in all directions, over the edge, into my face, up against the wall; everywhere. Luckily I had the foresight to stuff a sponge into my gob to hide my screams as I didn't want to alarm my husband who I could hear pottering about in the kitchen below me.
Once it was down and I'd realised everything was still attached, nothing had snapped off and the water splashage wasn't too excessive, I had a bloody good laugh at the trials and tribulations of just trying to have a relaxing bath.
Life is rarely dull.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment